Forum Replies Created
Engine now wired up and most of the trouble codes cleared. I’ve been writing up a wiring guide which I’m happy to share.
Major milestone reached, the engine now starts, sounds fabulous especially with no exhaust. Just need to make the wiring permanent now.
Great idea to meet up at the NEC – will you be there on both Saturday and Sunday?
A little bit of progress today, gave up with the MX5 fuel pump wiring and connected the fuel pump relay directly to the pump, so have fuel to the motor now.
then trial and error with the minimum connections to the ECU, sadly battery went flat before a successful start, however having read my documentation again, think I’ve identified the missing connection.
After many months of no progress, I have at last made a start on getting the wiring completed. Ended up buying another Lexus ECU with matched key as this seemed the easiest way to overcome the immobiliser problem and have got the V8 to turn over on the MX5 key. Now trying to work out how to energise the fuel pump relay – the wiring doesn’t seem to match the diagrams I have.
Hopefully more updates soon.
Big congratulations on getting your engine started – I’ve not managed to spend the time on that yet (I also have the challenge of the immobiliser on the Lexus ECU.)
Anything you can share on connecting the Mazda wiring would be useful. I did manage to download some good references on the Lexus.
Sad to say other priorities have meant that I haven’t done anything over the summer.
However, after chatting to Peter the other day, thought I would share a couple of pictures of my MX5 fuse box solution – basically a weather proof box fixed to the chassis.
Hi Peter, sadly I’ve made no progress over the summer (had another project to do).
how are you getting on? You can call me on 07785 331182 if you like.
Hi Peter, I am afraid to say that I have made no progress on my car over the winter. However, I have just managed to source the last couple of engine loom connectors, so now have no excuse not to get the engine fired up – just some better weather to encourage me into the garage.
Hope your kit has arrived now.
Well I managed to find some ECU connectors on eBay – from a Toyota Avalon (whatever that is!), but being shipped from the US, should be here any day now.
Hi Peter – good to hear some else is building a V8. I’m not making quick progress and have currently got to the point where I need to wire up the engine, so trying to source some connectors for the ECU (easier said than done!).
Have you got the engine yet? To be honest, I wouldn’t recommend the VVTi .
Happy to share my experiences.
Not written anything for a while, so I thought I’d provide a brief update:
Got the engine in (I would post a photo but can’t actually see how to do that) Once I took the manifolds off it went fairly well. Still need to get the manifolds modified though.
I’m now waiting for my propshaft to be modified and to get the exhaust made up, then I can be sure the engine is finally fitted.
I’ve also just about finished stripping my MX5 and started fitting the dashboard and wiring loom.
Thanks for the ‘photo. I take it Roy fabricate the bracket himself as I don’t have a part like that with my kit?
I managed to get the damaged studs out with the slightly lower tech solution of welding a nut on the end (“gas less” MIG welder £99 from Amazon), felt quite pleased with myself, so thought I’d go for a trial fitting of the engine and gearbox…….
Turns out the UZ1FE VVTi motor has slightly wider exhaust manifolds and the inlet manifold is longer than on the non VVTi, so scratching my head again now.
The exhaust manifolds should be solvable with either new custom ones or using the non VVTi ones (although they apparently don’t breathe as well). However, the inlet manifold is a bigger challenge as either the chassis cross member would need modifying unless the whole engine can be mounted about 3″ further forward.
Somewhat slow progress. I’ve got the subframes attached, so at least the chassis rolls. Currently working on getting brake and fuel lines fixed and fuel tank installed, but have just found out that the standard MX5 tank needs to be modified to fit between the rear chassis, which I wasn’t expecting.
Also been working on getting the engine and gearbox ready for fitting. However, the studs on the exhaust manifolds had been damaged by whoever removed the engine and are proving VERY reluctant to remove.